Application Guidelines for Graduate Program on Physics for the Universe Tohoku University
2. EligibilityApplicants must be second year graduate students enrolling in the master course at Graduate School of Science, Tohoku University as of April 2018. The applicants should conduct research related to physics for the Universe, and plan to continue on to the doctoral course soon after completing their master course. The applicants should also have a strong recommendation from their academic supervisor with an expectation to be appropriate to join GP-PU.
GP-PU is a continuous graduate program, starting from the second year in Master’s program, followed by three years of Doctoral course. Only the students who plan to continue on to the Doctoral program are eligible to apply for this program.
Universities and research institutes approved by the Program Committee of GP-PU, which plan to promote the agreements for jointly supervised degrees are recognized as our overseas partner universities or departments. At the moment, these include, University of Amsterdam (NIKHEF Institute), University of California (Barkley), University of Hawaii, University of Michigan, University of Washington, University of Wisconsin, Australian National University, Hampton University (Jefferson Lab.), Jagiellonian University, Mainz University (Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Princeton University, Seoul University, CERN, Chinese Academy of Science, DESY, GSI, Institute of Nuclear and Particle Physics(Orsay), Max Plank Institute.
3. Application procedures
- Application period ： 9:00–16:00, Monday, January 29, 2018 – Friday, February 9, 2018 . GP-PU office is closed on weekends.
- Venue of application ： The International Joint Graduate Program office (Regarding the location of the Secretariat, please see the bottom of the page.)
- In the case of application by mail ： Application documents must arrive no later than Friday, February 9, 2018. They must be sent by registered mail, with “Encl. application documents for GP-PU” written in red on the envelope. Mailing to International Joint Graduate Program office (Regarding contact information, please see the bottom of the page.)
4. Required documentsA complete set of the following documents must be submitted within the application period. Download the forms from http://gp-pu.tohoku.ac.jp/application/
- Original copies of academic transcripts (Undergraduate and graduate transcripts). Duplicate copies not allowed.
- A photo-copy of a score sheet of English Proficiency Test (TOEFL®, TOEIC® etc.).
If certificates to be submitted are written in a foreign language other than English, a Japanese or English translation must be attached. (A translation prepared by the applicant is accepted.)
Incomplete applications are not accepted.
Submitted application documents will not be returened.
5. Selection methodApplicants will be screened upon the submitted documents and the interview. Interviews will be conducted between Monday, February 19 and Friday, February 23, 2018. Details will be informed to the applicant later.
6. Announcement of application resultsThe announcement of application results will be sent to all applicants by e-mail by around Friday, March 30, 2018.
7. Financial supportWe hire the students at GP-PU as a research assistant (RA). The amount of work and salary will be determined by the rules at Tohoku University. If you are currently receiving a scholarship or a financial support, consult us in advance in order not to violate any regulations among them.
8. Completion requirementsTo complete the program, students must fulfill not only the requirements for completion of their graduate school, but also the requirements separately prescribed for completion of GP-PU program. For more information, please see the website of GP-PU (http://gp-pu.tohoku.ac.jp/).
[Contact Information] GP-PU OfficeGround floor, Science Administrative Center, School of Science, Tohoku University
6-3, Aramaki-Aza-Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8578 JAPAN
Phone：+81-(0)22-795-5578, Email：gppu [@] grp.tohoku.ac.jp
※ Please replace [@] with @ if it is sent